Step in from the cold and take a big bite of this warm Red Velvet Lava Cake. Not only is it the perfect easy dessert for the holiday season but for those cold winter months too. I guarantee that your friends and family will be begging for more. Lucky for you that this fabulous creation is so easy to make!
During my most recent stop at Publix to snag a few of their fabulous BOGO deals I also picked up the ingredients for my lava cakes and some Crisco® 100% Original Oil. It would be heartbreaking if my lava cakes stuck to my pan. Crisco® is an iconic brand that we’ve come to trust, so into my cart this fabulous spray went!
Other than the cake mix and cream cheese, I’m betting that you’ll have the rest of these ingredients in your pantry. I love it when I only have to buy a few extra ingredients for a recipe, don’t you?
Making your cakes can’t get much easier than 1, 2, 3. Spray your pan, prepare your cake mix according to the package directions, scoop it into your muffin pan and you’re almost done.
Now it’s time for the “lava” and this is where it gets fun. Isn’t it amazing how three simple ingredients can dress up a cake mix? Yummo!
Adding the “lava” is the trickiest part. Squeeze it into the center of the batter where it’ll be in the middle of the cake. Just have fun with it like I did!
Red Velvet Lava Cake
Yield: 9 cakes
Crisco® 100% Original Oil Spray
1 Red Velvet Box Cake Mix
Eggs (2-3, according to cake mix recipe)
Water (according to cake mix recipe)
Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil (according to cake mix recipe)
3 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 tablespoons Sugar
Powdered Sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 425 and spray your jumbo muffin pan with Crisco®.
- Using the eggs, water and oil, prepare the cake mix according to the box’s recipe. Place about 1/2 cup of batter into prepared muffin cups. (You want each cup to be halfway full.)
- Beat together the cream cheese, vanilla extract and sugar until smooth. Place in a sandwich bag and snip off the end. Squeeze the cream cheese mixture into the centers (about 1 1/2 tablespoons).
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges are firm and the center is not set.
- Cool 2-3 minutes. Invert the muffin pan and remove the cakes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
It is my hope that this Red Velvet Lava Cake recipe will inspire you to get in the kitchen and start baking. If you need additional baking inspiration head over to The Dessert Debate!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.